Are you interested in exploring influential ideas and sharing your insights with fellow information professionals?
Participate in our DC/SLA Professional Book Club!
Created in 2002, the Chapter’s Professional Book Club meets quarterly to discuss current, thought-provoking books of wide interest to our professional community. The goal of our discussions is to highlight each book’s unique points and useful takeaways through a lively exchange of ideas. During the April 2016 meeting, the book club teamed up with CUA’s student group AGLISS who tweeted the meeting.
Prior to each meeting, participants nominate recent, compelling books, and vote for the title they would like to discuss at the next gathering. See below for a list of all books read since the start of the group. Since 2005, the group has met at diverse Metro-accessible restaurants recommended by participants.
Do you know of a great book we should discuss at an upcoming meeting? Have a question or comment? Please send your suggestions and questions to: Jessica Fomalont.
- April 25, 2017, Originals : How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant
Past Book Selections:
- January 24, 2017, Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- October 18, 2016, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- July 26, 2016, Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian by Avi Steinbert
- April 26, 2016, The Shallows: What the Internet is doing to our Brains by Nicholas Carr; joint meeting with AGLISS; event recap and twitter discussion: #readCUA.
- February 2, 2016, BiblioTech: Why Libraries Matter More Than Ever in the Age of Google by John Palfrey.
- October 28, 2015, The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution by Walter Isaacson
- July 29, 2015, Whoever tells the best story wins: how to use your own stories to communicate with power and impact by Annette Simmons.
- April 29, 2015, David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
- January 14, 2015, Buying and Selling Information, A Guide for Information Professionals and Salespeople to Build Mutual Success by Michael L. Gruenberg
- October 15, 2014, As a Peace-Loving Global Citizen by Sun Myung Moon
- July 22, 2014, The World’s Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette’s, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family by Josh Hanagarne
- April 23, 2014 – Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change, Second Edition,
by Joseph Grenny (Author) , Kerry Patterson (Author) & 3 more
- January 28, 2014 – Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- October 29, 2013 – Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson or the article “The Real Leadership Lessons of Steve Jobs”(Harvard Business Review, 2012 Apr;90(4):92-100, 102, 146.)
- July 30, 2013 – Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- April 23, 2013 – Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- January 22, 2013 – The Googlization of Everything (and why we should worry) by Siva Vaidhyanatha.
- October 16, 2012 – The Embedded Librarian: Innovative Strategies for Taking Knowledge Where It’s Needed by David Shumaker
- July 25, 2012 – Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now That the Facts Aren’t the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere, and the Smartest Person in the Room Is the Room by David Weinberger
- April 24, 2012 – The Master Switch: The Rose and Fall of Information Empires by Tim Wu
- October 27, 2011 – A Reader on Reading by Alberto Manguel
- July 28, 2011 – Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation by Stephen Johnson
- April 26, 2011 – Hamlet’s Blackberry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age by William Powers
- January 27, 2011 – Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky
- October 28, 2010 – The Case for Books by Robert Darnton
- July 28, 2010 – This Book is Overdue by Marilyn Johnson
- April 28, 2010 – Why We Make Mistakes by Joseph Hallinan
- January 26, 2010 – Living in More Than One World by Bruce Rosenstein
- October 13, 2009 – The Library At Night By Alberto Manguel
- July 29, 2009 – A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers Will Rule the Future By Daniel Pink
- April 22, 2009 – Outliers: The Story of Success By Malcom Gladwell
- Jan. 27, 2009 – The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Oct. 29, 2008 – The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor and Privacy on the Internet by Daniel Solove
- July 15, 2008 – Tagging: People-powered Metadata for the Social Web by Gene Smith
- April 7, 2008 – Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
- Jan. 16, 2008 – Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- Oct. 1, 2007 – Library 2.0 and Beyond edited by Nancy Courtney
- July 11, 2007 – Wikinomics : How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams
- April 23, 2007 – Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- January 11, 2007 – Thinking for a Living by Thomas Davenport
- October 16, 2006 – The Search by John Bagatelle
- July 19, 2006 – Reading Lolita in Tehran : A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi
- April 20, 2006 – Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
- January 12, 2006 – The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Friedman
- October 6, 2005 – Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan
- May 19, 2005 – Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson
- November 10, 2004 – The New Organizational Wealth: Managing and Measuring Knowledge-Based Assets by Karl Sveiby
- September 2004 – Good Business: Leadership, Flow & the Making of Meaning by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- July, 2004 – Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman
- May 13, 2004 – Free Culture by Lawrence Lessing
- March 25, 2004 – Why Don’t You Want What I Want? How to Win Support for Your Ideas without Hard Sell, Manipulation, or Power Plays by Rick Mauer
- January 22, 2004 – When Generations Collide by Lynne C. Lancaster and David Stillman
- November 13, 2003 – Nothing to Fear: Lessons in Leadership from FDR by Alan Axelrod
- October 2, 2003 – Alexander the Great’s Art of Strategy by Partha Bose
- May 8, 2003 – Web of Deception: Misinformation on the Internet by Anne Mintz and Steve Forbes
- March, 2003 – Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time by Susan Scott
- January 16, 2003 – Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t by James C. Collins
- November 7, 2002 – The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
- September 19, 2002 – The Essential Drucker: The Best of Sixty Years of Peter Drucker’s Essential Writing on Management by Peter Drucker