Washington, DC Chapter

Chapter Milestones

Milestones in the Chapter’s History

  • September 30, 1940 – Petition signed to form an SLA chapter in Washington, DC; Adelaide R. Hasse elected President [Resolution to establish DC/SLA – Hasse speech (Sept. 30, 1940)]
  • October 26, 1940 – Petition approved by SLA Executive Board
  • November 18, 1940 – First meeting of Washington, DC, Chapter; ratification of proceedings of September 30; constitution accepted
  • June 19, 1941 – Gavel Award presented to Chapter by SLA for highest percentage increase in membership (89.7%)
  • October 1, 1941 – First issue of Chapter Notes published, Helen Scanlon, editor
  • October 1941 – Scholarship Loan Fund established
  • June 24, 1943 – Gavel Award presented to Chapter by SLA for highest percentage increase in membership (47.1%)
  • May 13, 1944 – United Nations Service Center Library opened, staffed, supported, and supplied by DCSLA volunteers; Carol Wanner, Chair of War Activities Committee
  • 1945 – First Chapter Handbook and Directory published
  • May 29, 1945 – First meeting on library automation, a demonstration of circulation record control with IBM punched cards
  • March 20, 1947 – Certificate of Achievement received from U. S. Navy for work with United Nations Service Center during VMI
  • June 5-11, 1948 – SLA convention in Washington, DC; Jane Brewer Amann, Conference Chair
  • September 1948 – First advertisement published in Chapter Notes by Sidney Kramer Books
  • 1952 – Completion of Chapter Manual, Ist ed.
  • February 21, 1958 – First New Members Reception; a cocktail party at the Army-Navy Club; new members and their sponsors attended free of charge
  • May 20, 1958 – Gavel Award presented to Chapter by SLA for highest percentage increase in membership (35.9%)
  • May 27-June 1, 1962 – SLA convention in Washington; Arch Gerlach, Conference Chair; Elsa Freeman, Program Chair
  • Spring 1967 – First of the series of continuing education workshops that later became the Joint Spring Workshop; cosponsored by DCSLA and DCLA
  • January 1971 – Formation of the Joint Venture to publish the eighth edition of the Library and Reference Facilities in the Area of the District of Columbia, Mildred Benton, editor
  • June 9, 1971 – Membership Award presented to Chapter by SLA; Elaine Rosenthal, Membership Chair
  • June 6-12, 1980 – SLA convention in Washington
  • January 1, 1981 - DC/SLA joined Council of Governments Library Council
  • August 1985 - SLA Headquarters moved to Washington, DC/SLA raised $10,000 to help purchase the building
  • March 25, 1986 – First New Members’ Reception held at SLA Headquarters
  • May 1987 – First Long-Range plan submitted to Board
  • September 1987 - Student Group established at CUA; Esther Horne, Faculty Advisor
  • March 1989 – Chapter membership exceeded 1,000!
  • May 1989 – First Board of Directors’ Award given to Mary K. Feldman
  • February 1990 – First Member of the Year Award given to William B. Neff

Social Media Directory

DC/SLA Events via Email!

FBFPowered by ®Google Feedburner

DC/SLA Tweets

Photos on flickr

Archives