- Engage on the Local Level – By Beth Maser.
“I would like us to take our collective activism and engagement with SLA to another level and work together to promote and encourage an increase in your participation at a local level. Take all of the energy you have shown us when becoming involved in the various current event debates and channel it back into the chapter.”
- DC/SLA Board Addresses SLA HQ Board’s Motion on Moving 2018 Conference Out of North Carolina
- Register for the annual conference!
- Get Ready for SLA 2016 in Philadelphia – Pre-Conference Webinar – Wednesday, May 4, 3-4 pm.
- The Board of Directors just approved the new Competencies for Information Professionals document.
- Field Trip – Visit to Soldier Art at Workhouse Arts Center – By Sharon Lenius
- Event Recap – World Cultural Heritage Sites at Risk: Preservation Efforts in Libraries & Archives in the Middle East – By Jan Zastrow
- Event Recap – How to write a strong resume – By Jocelyn McNamara
- Event Recap – Non-fiction Book Club Discusses “The Shallows” – Event organized by Jessica Fomalont
Brought to you by Lila Faulkner, Chair of the Career Development Committee.
- Ignoring LinkedIn Is Hurting Your Career – Wall Street Journal
- What Will People Think Phobia – GovLoop
- What’s Your Leadership Style: Learn more about your strengths and weaknesses as a leader – About.com
- This Graphic Reveals 10 Cognitive Biases That Shape Our Thinking, With Examples – Lifehacker
- 15 HR and Recruiting Experts Share Advice on How to Use Social Media in Your Job Search – Huffington Post
- 6 Easy Tricks that Will Make You Way More Productive – Forbes
- Four Foolproof Job Search Tips for Every Kind of Job Seeker – U.S. News & World Report
- How to Repair Bad Relationships at Work – On the Job
Upcoming DC/SLA & Local Events
- Medical Maker Space – Tech Strategy at NIH – Webinar presentation by James King – Tuesday, May 17, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
- Coloring, Conversation, and Conference – Bring your favorite coloring design book and pencils or use materials available via DC/SLA. National Geographic Society. Thursday, May 19, 6-7:30 pm.
- The DIY Guide To Writing A Library Strategic Plan – presented by The Library Management Institute. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library. Monday, May 23, 10 am- 1 pm. Contact LMIworkshops@yahoo.com for details and registration.
Food for Thought
- Data USA – Claims to be the most comprehensive visualization of U.S. public data.
- 60 Websites in 60 Minutes – from Mark Goldstein & Marydee Ojala at the AIIP conference. See also the 2 page handout with a list of the links.
- Learn to Love Networking – Harvard Business Review
- The Myths of Innovation – R. David Lankes explains how to avoid the myths and how to promote positive change as a librarian.
Chapter eNotes is an e-newsletter from the DC/SLA Chapter.
DC/SLA Communications Secretary – Rick Kowalski
DC/SLA Communications Team – Carol Abrams, Rick Kowalski, Zeinab A. Mansour, Greta Ober, Amber Paranick, Samuel Russell, Kerry Schork, Megan Smith, Jan Zastrow