- It’s Time To Turn This Rig Around! – By Blane Dessy, DC/SLA President-Elect.
“We each need to make a commitment to ourselves, to each other, and to our Association that we will do what we can to keep our Chapter active and prosperous. We’ve seen a decline in DC/SLA membership and our membership roster is now half of what it used to be ten years ago. As President-Elect, I’ve been asked to devote my time to Chapter membership and determine what can be done to maintain and grow DC/SLA members…”
- SLA Annual Conference – Philadelphia, PA. June 12-14. Early Bird Registration ends April 30!
- Neither Digital Nor Virtual: A Visit to the LC’s Packard Campus In Real Life – By Carol Abrams
- Event Recap: Strengthening Your Interviewing Skills – By Laura Stein
A new section of eNotes, brought to you by Lila Faulkner, Chair of the Career Development Committee.
- How To Get More Power At Work – Forbes
- You Already Have All The Skills You Need to Succeed – The Simple Dollar
- 6 Things I Did to Sabotage My Career and How I Turned It Around – HuffPost Business: The Blog
- How to Handle Awkward Situations With Your Coworkers – Levo
- Unemployed or On a Break? 5 Ways to Keep Your Job Skills Fresh – U.S. News & World Report
- Do’s and Don’ts: Answering ‘Why Do You Want to Leave Your Job?’ – U.S. News & World Report
- 13 Ways You Can Use Your LinkedIn Profile To Get Your Dream Job – Marie Claire
- Tailor Your Cover Letter to a Government Job – GovLoop
Upcoming DC/SLA & Local Events
- Job Search Workshop: Writing Job-Winning Resumes & Giving Great Interviews – Saturday, April 16, 2016, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, University of Maryland. Be sure to register early especially if you would like to attend in person. Also available via webinar.
- SLA Happy Hour at Penn Commons – Tuesday, April 19. 6pm-8pm.
- Nonfiction Book Club–Joint DC SLA/AGLISS event – Next book will be The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. Tuesday, April 26, 6:30 pm.
- International Relations Committee – Middle Eastern Libraries event; details TBD – April 21, 2016.
Food for Thought
- Should All Research Papers Be Free? – New York Times
- Get to know Taylor Kirch (MS ’14), Pandora music librarian – iSchool at Illinois, via infoDocket.
- A New Focus on Transparency for the Congressional Research Service – Information Today
- New film search engine – Phil Bradley’s weblog
Chapter eNotes is an e-newsletter from the DC/SLA Chapter.
DC/SLA Communications Secretary – Rick Kowalski
DC/SLA Communications Team – Carol Abrams, Rick Kowalski, Zeinab A. Mansour, Greta Ober, Amber Paranick, Samuel Russell, Kerry Schork, Megan Smith, Malea Walker, Jan Zastrow